Wednesday, April 26, 2017

CAKE in a CUP Recipe - LCHF


I discovered this sweet treat on Instagram but there were no measurements. I was left to play with them and create the following recipe based on what I was able to observe.

I thought it was amazing that after 2 minutes in the microwave a cute little sponge cake would emerge.

Anyway, I've experimented, after tweaking my initial measures I can now share this with you.

There are so many wonderful variations that can be done to this little cake that I encourage you to play around with it - add nuts, top it with whip cream, drizzle it with berries, slice it warm and serve it with butter - yum.

Okay... here it is...

CAKE IN A CUP

Ingredients                                   

1 Tbsp Coconut Flour                   
1/2 tsp Psyllium Husk                
1 1/2 tsp - 2 tsp Cacao Powder   (I have used 2 tsp for a more chocolatey flavour)              
1/2 tsp - 2 tsp Xylitol   (adjust according to sweetness desired, and sweetener used)                             
1/8 tsp Baking Soda                       
Dash of Salt  
1 Tbsp Shredded Coconut (unsweetened)  This is optional!                              

Mix these dry ingredient together with a fork in a mug that can go into the microwave.

In a separate glass blend the wet ingredients together then add them to the dry ingredients.

1 egg
1 Tbsp melted Coconut Oil
1 Tbsp Whipping Cream (or full-fat yogurt, or sour cream works just as well)
1/4 tsp Vanilla Extract

Mix this all together so it's all well blended. Then at the end add:

1/4 tsp vinegar

Mix everything, then cover the cup with a small saucer (this is optional)

Microwave for 2 minutes. When done, tip onto a cooling rack. (My microwave is a small, lower voltage one so I leave it in for 2 mins. 10 seconds.)

ENJOY.


Some things to note:

This little cake does expand. You will need a cup that holds at least 1 1/2 cups liquid when full. This allows for expansion and a little breathing room under the saucer.

You can play with the Cacao Powder - by adding a little less or more depending on your taste.

You can also play with the sweetness - I made one cake using 1 tsp of Xylitol instead of 1/2 tsp - it was also very yummy, but not much sweeter.

I used powdered Xylitol for one test cake (I grind it in the blender and keep a bag of powdered on hand) and found I needed more than if I used it in its original form - seems 1 tablespoon of powdered equals about 1 teaspoon of granules.

If you prefer a different sweetener than Xylitol give it a go. Having worked with most of them I find, for my taste, the Xylitol is most like sugar - same measurements, same look/texture, same baking results. Also, it has no impact on blood sugar/insulin levels.

I used whipping cream as the outer icing and then I heated 1/4 cup** of frozen blueberries which I drizzled over the cake (as featured here). It was so delicious. **originally I had written 1/2 cup, but it was only 1/4 cup.

I'm going to slice the next one in half horizontally and fill it with whip cream, fresh sliced strawberries and make a glaze using butter, cream cheese and xylitol.

The variations are endless... I might see if I can do a carrot cake version!

You can find more photos on my Instagram site.


Leave a comment if you end up creating your own version - it's fun seeing what others come up with.


To your health,
     Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you - please feel free to leave a comment and share your LCHF thoughts.

Comment Moderation is on for comments posted after 14 days. Thank-you, Jenny.